Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Summaaahh

My next door neighbors have a son who's around ten years old. Every day he and his friend set up two chairs, a blue canopy that looks like it's about to fall down at any second, a folding table, a pitcher full of lemonade, some mismatched disposable cups and a crumpled piece of computer paper that tells you that you can get a cup of lemonade for 25 cents. I'm sure they haven't made very much money, our street hardly gets any traffic, but there's something about summer that stirs up the entrepreneurial spirit in kids. When I was younger every day brought a new opportunity to make money. And we sure did the damn thing: garage sales, pulling weeds, lemonade stands, collecting cans and bottles to recycle, car washes, selling candy, etc. We even tried making our own clothes one year, soap in water bottles another with neither venture bringing in much money. I don't know what I'll do if my parents ever move and I couldn't revisit and stay in the place I spent my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment